| Home Archives
Since 1920 Wittenau, a part of Berlin's borough of Reinickendorf, has expanded fast. Farmers sold their land, and building associations have erected housing estates where previously there were only green fields. In the sixties a new district came into being in Wittenau: the "Märkisch quarter" MV
A number of Companies (GeSoBau, GSW and others) have built high-rise residential homes here, which caused great controversy when the foundations were first laid. There are now shopping centres, schools, kindergartens, a post office, medical and counselling centres and so on.
During this period the Roman Catholic
St. Martin's has been built and fitted out. Roughly 50.000 people live
here. The church community of Wittenau cannot absorb all the new
church members. In addition to the small church of St. Andrew the
in Eichorster Weg, four other church centres have been established in
Märkisch quarter, namely St. John the apostle in Dannenwalder Weg,
St. Peter's in Wilhelmsruher Damm, Senfkorn in Senftenberger Ring and
own church Am Seggeluchbecken.
The parish centre
was built in 1972. It comprises several
buildings which through their various uses at different levels, provide
a rich unified cohesion.
The building also contains a children's day care centre (seating 80), the vicarage, verger's flat and the office of the social welfare work for the Märkische quarter. Inner airwells are landscaped and bedecked with plants, which helps to relax the scene.
The parish celebrated its 40th
anniversary in this years. The parish started off with 5.000 members
and still has, at
the moment, around 2.300 evangelical Christians. 18 people are employed
in the parish at present of whom only two are involved with the
namely only one minister (50%).
Home Archives (c) 2011
Pfarrer Peter Zillmann, 13435 Berlin-Märkisches Viertel, Finsterwalderstr. 68